When your physician says you'll need rehabilitation following surgery, they are suggesting you seek out a service provider that fits your needs.
People experience a variety of emotions around this decision:
- Relief — Many are relieved to know they will have continued treatment and support from medical professionals until they feel as healthy as possible.
- Anxiety — Going anywhere other than home — even for a short period of time — sometimes makes people nervous or anxious.
- Guilt — Family members may feel guilty that their loved one needs more care than they are able to provide.
You'll find these locations called by many different names, including: skilled nursing facility, SNF, sub-acute, post-acute rehabilitation services, rehab facility. All of these names refer to the same kinds of services.
At Good Samaritan Society – Shakamak, we provide short-term rehab therapy in a post-acute setting. Click here to learn more.
We suggest you do some exploring.
It is best to look for a rehabilitation services provider before you need one. Tour post-acute services either near your home or near your family’s home(s) before your scheduled surgery or hospitalization.
Use our checklist to help you find the location that's right for you:
- Schedule an appointment to tour the location. You'll want to gather first-hand information about available services.
- Schedule another time to stop by. You'll want to see the facility at different times of the day.
- Take a friend or loved one with you. Two sets of eyes are better than one and you'll have someone to share your experience.
- Observe staff interactions with patients and with you as a visitor. Keep an open mind, but trust your "gut" reactions.
- Let you senses be your guide. Pay attention to smells and aromas, and the overall cleanliness and maintenance of the building.
- Listen. You'll hear a variety of noises, but laughter and the sounds of activity are good signs.
- Check the menu. Be sure to speak with the dietary department to review your specific needs.
- Meet with the business office. They can help you review your insurance coverage.
- Ask about after-care services. Staff members should be able to help you find home healthcare and outpatient therapy providers.
- Trust your instincts. You have the right to choose your post-acute rehabilitation services provider, regardless what your physician recommends.
We're ready to help you explore your options
Call us at (855) 466-3726.Email us