Isolation and loneliness can negatively affect older adults’ physical and emotional health.
Isolation can lead to:
- Higher risk of heart disease
- Cognitive decline
- Higher risk of anxiety and depression
Maintaining an active social life can help you stay healthy.
How to stay social:
- Join a coffee group or book club
- Stay in touch with family and friends and visit them regularly
- Take a class
- Join a fitness center
- Schedule regular time with grandkids
- Make phone calls, send mail and email
Don't forget your physical well-being.
Social interaction is most helpful with a health-minded lifestyle:
- Eat a nutritious diet
- Engage in physical activity
- Get plenty of sleep
For more information on health and well-being, visit good-sam.com/resources.